Commonwealth is an intellectual community forged by curious, intelligent students working with outstanding teachers in challenging and exciting classes. Together they embrace the complexity and nuance inherent in deep academic study, as students are invited to read, write, reason, and learn at the level of college students and beyond. While the academic demands are high, teachers keep careful watch over student progress and spend much of their time working one-on-one with students who are struggling or who need additional enrichment.
Use the links at left to explore our course offerings.
Our academic program is organized around a required core of courses that aims to give every one of our graduates:
- The ability to write clear, forceful English
- Wide experience in literature and the art of reading
- A thorough grounding in mathematics and the natural sciences
- A historical perspective on human nature and human affairs
- Mastery of at least one foreign language
- Deep involvement in visual and performing arts
A Wide Range of Electives and AP-Level Courses
Almost all courses at Commonwealth are accelerated; almost every junior and senior core course prepares students for an Advanced Placement exam for college credit. At the same time, courses are primarily the creation of the teachers who give them. Juniors and seniors, who have a wider range of electives from which to choose, can follow personal interests to a very high level in advanced half- and full-credit courses.