Commonwealth is a small independent day school that occupies two brownstones in Boston's Back Bay. It is known for its academic rigor, strong program in the arts, and extensive use of the city of Boston. It attracts bright, motivated students from all over the Boston metropolitan area and, with the help of an unusually strong financial aid program, draws young people from a variety of backgrounds.
Commonwealth School seeks highly qualified candidates for a wide range of teaching and administrative positions. We welcome inquiries for potential teaching, coaching, and other school-related professional opportunities.
Commonwealth School in Boston seeks a teacher or teachers of computer science for grades 9-12 to cover an unexpected opening for the rest of the year. The person(s) hired would cover some or all of Commonwealth’s four computer science courses, which range from introduction to program design (using Racket), through AP Computer Science Principles, through data structures and algorithms and beyond. We seek candidates who will teach not only programming skills, but the depth and beauty of computer science, including ideas from such areas as programming languages (e.g. lambda calculus), concurrency, machine learning, etc. (For high-level descriptions of the courses, see our website: https://www.commschool.org/academics/computer-science.) Candidates should have at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science and some experience teaching or tutoring.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please submit a résumé and the names of three references to Mara Dale, Dean of Faculty Hiring and Support: email@example.com.
The Staff Accountant performs a variety of general accounting tasks in the business office with responsibilities primarily around the monthly closings, bank reconciliations, accounts payable processing, accounts receivable management, payroll processing and general ledger entries and reconciliations. The Staff Accountant reports to the Director of Finance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Staff Accountant will:
•Be responsible for accurate accounts payable processing from obtaining invoice approvals, coding and entering invoices into the accounting system, reconciling vendor statements and processing weekly check-runs.
•Maintain accurate vendor account records and obtain current W-9 forms from vendors on a timely basis. Process and file annual 1099 forms by the IRS deadline.
•Make daily bank deposits and post cash receipts into the CYMA accounting software. Make timely collection calls on all overdue receivable accounts.
•Process monthly payroll through ADP and prepare and post payroll and benefit journal entries into the accounting software.
•Reconcile all donor gift transactions recorded in the accounting system with the Development team’s gift software system on a monthly basis. Ensure variances are researched and resolved on a timely basis.
•Reconcile all cash and investment accounts to bank and investment statements monthly.
•Track and reconcile company credit card and Amazon charges to vendor statements on a timely basis. Ensure accurate recording of all expense transactions in the accounting software.
•Manage employee expense reimbursement process which includes matching receipts to approved reports, verifying G/L coding, posting batches into CYMA and remitting payments to employees on a weekly basis.
•Oversee and manage employee and student MBTA pass programs.
•Work closely with the Admissions Office to assist in the student enrollment and re-enrollment process.
•Complete monthly reconciliations of balance sheet accounts on a timely basis and maintain sufficient reconciliation backup for review and approval by the Director of Finance.
•Reconcile internal records with employees, management, external vendors and families as needed.
•Research questionable data and recommend actions to resolve discrepancies.
•Suggest and assist in implementing process improvements to the departmental workload.
•Maintain neat and orderly filing systems (electronic and hard copy files).
•Manage petty cash account and reconcile to replenish on a monthly basis.
•Perform other such accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be required from time to time.
Candidates should have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a Bachelor’s degree in business with emphasis in accounting is required.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience working in accounting with a record of success as part of an accounting team.
- A self-starter mentality in approach to the workload.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced professional environment.
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills is a must.
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task is required.
- Must possess an eagerness to learn, possess a positive attitude and be willing to take on new tasks as needed.
- Must be highly skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data and possess no tolerance for financial sloppiness.
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Must have excellent work habits, including a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done, especially when important deadlines cause greater than normal departmental pressures.
- Enthusiastic about working in a lively, intellectually exciting community.
Founded sixty years ago, Commonwealth offers its 150 students an education that sets very rigorous academic standards, makes the arts a part of everyday life, and, through various programs with the surrounding city, promotes social responsibility. More information about the school can be found at www.commschool.org.
Interested candidates should send résumé with cover letter to Susan Tibert at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Communications and Administrative Assistant
The communications and administrative assistant plays an integral role in supporting the daily communications and administrative functions that support Commonwealth School as a premier secondary education for grades 9-12. The position is responsible for the maintenance and distribution of content for the internal and external communications across all digital and print platforms for the School. H/she will attend and engage in School events and capture storytelling moments that depict the day-to-day life and vitality of the School as well as alumni engagement by compiling short written news stories, photography, and video for daily and weekly publication. He/she adheres to timely project deadlines and assumes the role as the production and media assistant for all communications and brand marketing projects. As the main social media and website manager, he/she will engage all constituents by preparing daily and regular social posts and advertisements for the School’s website and other digital platforms. H/she will be responsible for welcoming visitors, answering phones and other office administrative duties.
This position is a great opportunity to gain professional experience in the marketing and communications field and to play an important role in a vibrant school community. Under the supervision, guidance, and direction of the director of strategic communications and marketing, the communications manager will be responsible, but not limited to, a wide range of tasks and duties outlined below.
Daily Communications, Website, and Social Media
- Create, proofread, and publish regular news content for the news section of the website, social media and newsletters.
- Writes and distributes press releases and maintains our Merit Pages program.
- Maintain and update the School’s website including regular calendar, directory, news and events.
- Maintain and track social media content for our main platforms (ie. Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo).
- Support projects for the school’s events, programs, advertising and marketing (ie. academics, admission, communications, and development).
- Maintain the School’s SEO and keywords for the website, search engines, and other platforms
- Maintain daily and weekly schedule for content on the School’s digital screens.
- Maintain day-to-day and seasonal execution of all digital marketing and advertising campaigns.
- Maintain the search engine marketing campaigns to generate admission leads
- Provide regular reports on analytics for all digital platforms.
Project Management and Administration
- Adhere to timelines, manage correspondence, and process invoices and paperwork for all marketing, communications and advertising campaigns, and print communications projects.
- Manage administrative projects as assigned by the director of strategic communications and marketing.
- Interface with outside vendors ranging from designers, photographers, videographers and printers for uploads and deliveries.
- Maintain newsletter layouts, technical brand style guide, and database mail files.
- Maintain the digital archive of photography and video using cloud-based tools such as Photoshelter, Dropbox, and Google Drive.
- Cover front office administrative duties by welcoming visitors and answering phones.
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience in an integrated marketing/communications role is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree or experience in communications, marketing, journalism or related field.
- Excellent attention to detail and resourcefulness, proven flexibility, organizational, problem-solving, excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Superb command of English language, and strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills (news, advertising, marketing).
- Ability to work independently with high quality standards.
- Comfortable managing numerous projects in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Dynamic self-starter and innovator with a commitment to lifelong professional development.
- Highly motivated team player that is aligned with the School’s mission and values.
- Experience with content management systems, MS Office, Google, and Adobe Suites.
- Preferred experience in email programs such as Constant Contact, MailChimp, and Enotify.
This is a 12-month non-exempt part-time position at 25-30 hours per week and reports to the director of strategic communications and marketing. The position requires daily attendance and coverage of occasional evening and weekend events, as directed.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com