Updates and Information Regarding COVID-19
Updated March 30, 2020, 9:30 p.m.
This page was developed to provide updates and information regarding our plans to cope with the spread of the coronavirus and the outbreak of COVID-19. It will be updated as needed, with critical alerts shared with the Commonwealth School community via email as well.
The health and safety of the Commonwealth community is our top priority, and we are keenly aware of our responsibility to avoid being an unwitting contributor to the pandemic. As always, we will make every effort to respond prudently so as to minimize risk to students, faculty and staff, and the community.
The school will continue to communicate with students, parents, teachers, and staff via email. We urge the Commonwealth community to check email frequently.
With this rapidly evolving and largely unprecedented situation, our Headmaster and administrative team have been conferring on a daily basis, making decisions in accord with state and federal recommendations.
Letters to the Commonwealth Community
Per the CDC’s recommendations, we remind and urge all students and staff to:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly
- Avoid crowds
- Minimize physical contact with others
- Be aware of symptoms: fever, cough, and shortness of breath
- Use hand sanitizer
- Cough into sleeves
- Avoid touching one’s face
Mental Health and Wellness
- Maintaining Emotional Health & Well-Being During the COVID-19 Outbreak (Massachusetts Department of Public Health)
- Supporting Families During COVID-19 (Child Mind Institute)
- COVID-19 Stress and Coping (CDC)
General Information About COVID-19
- CDC: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Summary
- WHO: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreak
- MA Department of Public Health: Information on the Outbreak of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
During this uncertain and unprecedented period, we appreciate the patience, vigilance, and flexibility of our Commonwealth community. As always, we are heartened by the response from students, families, alumni/ae, teachers, and staff. They have developed creative and effective ways of continued learning in the face of adversity, responded to fear and uncertainty with calm and composure, and demonstrated a concern not just for each other but our interconnected global community.
Until the school reopens, we will conduct courses, advising, and extracurricular activities via our robust online learning platform, Virtual Commonwealth.
Commonwealth School will be closed until May 4, in compliance with Governor Baker's order.
The following events have been canceled as of March 26, 2020:
- Revisit Days for Admitted Students
- Reception for Admitted Families
- Senior Play
- Spring Concert
We request that any students or family members heading abroad in the coming weeks let us know by calling (617-266-7525) or emailing Stephanie Poynter in our front office.
We ask that students and their families, as well as faculty and staff members, comply fully with recommendations for quarantine or limited interactions with others following the return from countries currently under Level 3 or Level 2 travel alerts or from areas in the U.S. with higher rates of infection.