From 2012 to 2014, the Commonwealth School Board of Trustees initiated and guided a strategic planning process. The strategic plan on these pages emerged from that work and was approved by the board in May 2014.
The result of some 18 months of study and discussion by trustees, alumni/ae, parents, faculty, and staff, the plan aims to set the school’s priorities for the next five to 10 years. “We’ve come out of this process with ideas consistent with the school’s culture that are consistent with and that will develop the qualities that make Commonwealth special and different from other independent schools,” said Therese Hendricks P’05, P’07, co-chair of the steering committee formed to guide the process. Among the plan's key points:
- The school will remain at 151 Commonwealth Ave. and enrollment will continue to be 145 to 150 students.
- To attract and retain an outstanding and diverse faculty, the school is looking at ways to keep teachers’ salaries competitive, to fund the continuation of Hughes Faculty Projects, to provide long-term funding for faculty sabbaticals, and to strengthen support and evaluation of teachers.
- Commonwealth will maintain a first-rate academic program and expand opportunities for students to enjoy an equally fulfilling experience outside the classroom through comprehensive extracurricular and sports and wellness programs.
- The chemistry and biology labs will be renovated in the near future to improve the learning environment and also to increase the visibility and appeal of the sciences at Commonwealth.
- To advance Charles Merrill’s emphasis on opportunity and accessibility, the school is planning to increase financial aid and fund support for students who receive aid.
- Rigorous architectural studies are underway to examine how the building, and the ways we use it, might be improved. The search also continues for additional space in the neighborhood to serve uses that are not well accommodated in the building now.
If you have comments on the plan, you are invited to contact Headmaster Bill Wharton at email@example.com.
To explore this site, please use the navigation menu to the left.
To download the Full Strategic Plan as a PDF, click here.