The mission of Commonwealth School is to educate young people from diverse backgrounds to become knowledgeable, thoughtful, and creative adults, capable of careful analysis, fruitful cooperation, responsible leadership, and deep commitment.
Commonwealth aims to be a school:
- with the highest standards of academic excellence;
- where students learn to think for themselves, to exercise responsibility and initiative in their actions;
- with a community of talented teachers and promising students from diverse backgrounds;
- that takes maximum advantage of its rich urban setting;
- where arts are a vital element of daily life;
- that equips students to use effectively a wide range of tools for inquiry and research;
- that promotes physical and emotional health and fitness;
- that provides the friendly atmosphere of a small, supportive community; and
- that helps students establish the foundation for rewarding and productive lives.
In keeping with our mission, our gifted and accomplished teachers set the highest standards and work hard to help their students meet them. In the liveliness and warmth of a small yet richly varied community, classmates’ talents and curiosity often generate much of the excitement.
As they move through grades 9-12, our students develop a large shared frame of reference: cell biology, visual and performing arts, Greek and Roman history, Hamlet, and their own collective creativity and sense of humor. They also learn about the city around them both formally and informally, through courses, independent projects, and community service.