- The building opens at 7:30 a.m., and the school day begins at 8:30. Classes end at 2:45 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; 3:25 on Tuesday; and 3:45 on Thursday. See below for sample freshman and sophomore schedules.
- Most classes are 40 minutes long, but students have one double block per week for science labs.
- New students typically take five classes and an art course. All ninth graders are enrolled in a year-long seminar that rotates through multiple topics, including City of Boston and Health and Community.
- The whole school gathers every morning for a snack and announcements. We also serve lunch daily, and our dining program offers a wide range of healthy and delicious options.
- Students participate in athletics after school on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Where and when you practice and play depends on what you choose.
- Clubs usually meet once a week during lunch, but a few meet after school. Offerings include Model UN, Model Congress, Debate Team, Commonwealth Cares (our service and volunteering group), Gender-Sexuality Alliance, Math Team, Environmental Club, Robotics Club, Newspaper, Yearbook, Evil Genius Club, Chess Club, and Politics Club.
- If you’re involved in our theater productions, you’ll typically rehearse after school on Tuesday and Thursday. Most of our performances take place at the Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center.
Real-World Student Schedules
At Commonwealth, students pursue their unique interests with full force, whether via rigorous courses or diverse extracurriculars. Get a sneak preview of real student schedules on our blog.
Sample Freshman Schedule (click to enlarge)
Sample Sophomore Schedule (click to enlarge)