Like most facets of a Commonwealth education, the “typical" student schedule is anything but.
You might come to school early to rehearse with your chamber music trio, play a few rounds of chess at lunch, or plot out a novella during your weekly meeting with your faculty advisor. The next day, you might spend your free periods studying at the Boston Public Library or grabbing a coffee with friends on Newbury Street. On any given afternoon, you might head off to practice on fields or stages—though, if you’re like many of our students, you may find yourself reluctant to leave...
- The building opens at 7:30 a.m., and the school day begins at 8:30. Classes end at 2:45 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; 3:25 on Tuesday; and 3:45 on Thursday. See below for sample freshman and sophomore schedules.
- Most classes are 40 minutes long, but students have one double block per week for science labs.
- New students typically take five classes and an art course. Ninth graders rotate through City of Boston, Health and Community, and Language and Ethics.
- The whole school gathers every morning for a snack and announcements. We also serve lunch daily, and our dining program offers a wide range of healthy and delicious options.
- Students participate in athletics after school on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Where and when you practice and play depends on what you choose.
- Clubs usually meet once a week during lunch, but a few meet after school. Offerings include Model UN, Model Congress, Debate Team, Commonwealth Cares (our community engagement group), We Discuss (our diversity and inclusion group), Gender Sexuality Alliance, Math Team, Science Team, Environmental Committee, Robotics Club, Newspaper, Yearbook, Dungeons & Dragons, Chess Club, and Politics Club.
- If you’re involved in our theater productions, you’ll typically rehearse after school on Tuesday and Thursday. Most of our performances take place at the Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center.