Dive In Commonwealth
Learn More at a Virtual Info Session
NEW DATE Thursday, March 2, 2023
6:30–7:30 p.m. EDT
Join us for a Virtual Information Session to learn more about Dive In and get answers to your questions. We can’t wait to meet you!
What is Dive In Commonwealth?
Completely free to students and their families, Dive In Commonwealth offers academic and extracurricular opportunities for curious, driven middle-school students in a warm, caring environment. It is primarily a summer program, with six weeks of classes in July and August, plus select Saturdays throughout the school year to ensure continuity and connection. Our mission is to prepare students for rigorous high school programs and make sure they are well supported when considering their options.
In our close-knit community, teachers offer personal attention and know each student’s unique abilities, skills, and passions, while students build friendships with others who also want to grow inside the classroom and out.
Students who enjoy Dive In are:
- Excited about school work and summer classes, interested in challenging themselves, and motivated to do well
- Eager to learn about lots of different things
- Interested in going to college
Many Dive In students:
- Identify with historically underrepresented groups
- Qualify for free or reduced lunch at school
- Speak languages other than English at home
- Would be first person in their families to go to college
The Dive In curriculum includes:
- Exciting, engaging math and English classes that strengthen core skills
- Introductions to academic subjects like computer science, biology, theater, and more
- A consistent but manageable amount of homework each week
Dive In takes place:
- During 6 weeks of classes in the summer (July and August), plus select Saturdays during the school year
- In Boston's Back Bay at Commonwealth School, in our cozy, beautiful brownstone building
- Within easy walking distance of both the Copley and Back Bay MBTA stations
Sofia, Dive In Graduate 2022, Commonwealth School Class of 2026
“At first I was like, 'I have to go to summer school?!' But then I started to build connections with the people, and I loved it. Actually, it was so fun. I miss it now—not just the students but also the teachers. They taught me way more than I expected, and they prepared me for what was going to come in my academics.”
Sienna, Dive in Graduate 2021
“Being able to form bonds with teachers really helped me. Talking to teachers and the advisor program helped me open up to teachers and understand that I can talk to them and ask for help. I never really had that bond with teachers before, and it allowed me to change something in the way I relate to them. Now when I don’t understand something, I just ask.”
Preview the Private School Experience
Students learn about independent/private school options during Dive In, and they “graduate” prepared for Boston’s best high schools and far beyond. Families interested in independent schools also receive ample admissions guidance, including step-by-step instructions for applying for financial aid, whether they apply to Commonwealth or any other school. Dive In students grow familiar with standardized test taking because of our consistent prep for the SSAT, often required by private schools.
Dive In Commonwealth lasts fourteen months total, starting with a six-week summer program after seventh grade. Students then return to Dive In Commonwealth for select Saturdays throughout eighth grade, followed by another six weeks of summer classes. Students are expected to attend all sessions, just like they would regular school days. Each summer program day is roughly as long as a typical school day, running from 8:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.
Students and families apply in the spring of seventh grade. You can start the application process here.
M.A., University of Wisconsin–Madison
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin–Madison