Athletics Overview and Requirements
Athletics can provide a student with a sense of pride and accomplishment through the hard work and competitive spirit that the athletic arena provides. Athletics enhance the overall educational experience and build well-rounded students and leaders. Integrity, fairness and respect—these are the principles of good sportsmanship. With them, the spirit of competition thrives, fueled by honest rivalry, courteous relations, and graceful acceptance of the results.
As such, athletics are an important—and required—part of the overall educational experience at Commonwealth.
Questions may be directed to Director of Athletics, Jackson Elliott '10.
- All sports typically meet on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons between 3:00–5:00 p.m.
- Sports offered each season are based on student interest and are subject to change.
- With the exception of the soccer and basketball teams, all sports are coed.
- Students with serious commitments to athletic activities outside of school may be eligible to fulfill their sports requirement through an independent sports credit. Students interested in credit for an independent sport must request approval from the Director of Athletics and Wellness by completing an independent sports application.
- More information about fall 2022 athletics can be found here.
- Fall: First or second week of September though the last week in October; team sports may continue through the first week of November
- Winter: Second week in November through the last week in February
- Spring: First week in April through mid-May
- Students are required to participate in a fall and winter sport; the spring season is optional.
- Participation in a team sport for at least one season is required in either ninth or tenth grade. Team sports include cross country or soccer in the fall, fencing or basketball in the winter, or Ultimate Frisbee in the spring.
- Students who have more than one unexcused absence will not receive sports credit for the season and will be required to take a spring sport.