Community Service Goals and Requirements
Community Service at Commonwealth aims to:
- Expose students to people who are at a disadvantage (socially, medically, economically, or otherwise)
- Help students to realize they can make a difference and give them the tools to do so
- Develop awareness and better understanding of the communities they live in
- Develop a community of caring and committed individuals at Commonwealth School
Community service that meets the following requirements must be completed by every student before he or she can graduate:
- 20-40 hours of service
- Half of a student’s required service should be complete by the end of the summer following ninth grade year, with the rest being completed by the end of the summer following tenth grade.
- Students who enter Commonwealth as tenth graders must complete 15 hours of community service.
Types of Organizations and Restrictions
Commonwealth salutes all kinds of service in the community, from work for political causes to volunteering on a farm, but in order to encourage students to help its people in need, credit toward the fulfillment of the requirement can only be earned through service for an organization that is under-funded and/or understaffed, where a volunteer’s help would really make a difference.
We ask that a substantial portion of the credit toward the fulfillment of the requirement (about 20 hours) be earned through service directly to those citizens, face to face.
The remaining hours can be earned by working for an approved organization that does not directly work with people face-to-face.
For questions, contact Community Service Coordinator Catherine Brewster.